Thursday, January 22, 2015

Welcoming New Members To The Church

I had the privilege of knowing several people that were welcomed into the Catholic church during the Easter Vigil.  What a wonderful celebration for these people, for us all.  I have read articles in the recent past that try to convince people that Catholic Church is decreasing in number, but I beg to differ.

Being a recent convert myself I can see things from both sides.  Before I started having the desire to enter the Catholic Church I never really took the time to notice anything about it.  I came from a strict Baptist background and so knowing things about other denominations was something that you did not take the time to research.  I could tell you anything that you wanted to know about the Baptist church because I made it my life.  I would go to family reunions and hear others talking about belonging to this denomination or that denomination.  But I never bothered to pay attention to what they were saying because in my eyes there was none better then the one that I was in.  Having that kind of mind set is wrong – it is that attitude that makes people feel ill toward other churches that are not their own.

I consider myself very blessed that God helped me to see the error of my thinking and helped to open my eyes to the Catholic Church.  What a wonderful gift it is to be a member of the One True Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church, a gift that keeps on giving your whole life.  And how sad it is that there are many people out there that are not able to experience this wonderful gift out of shear unwillingness to open their eyes to something that is not in their comfort zone.  They are afraid to take a leap of faith for fear of the unknown, and having that fear is preventing them from experiencing the wonderful joys that come from The Catholic Church.

Anytime that I hear someone say that they are in RCIA class I get so excited for them, because I know that they are on a road that is going to lead them to true happiness.  Oh what a great thing they are doing by allowing themselves to be open to something that they have not known before! By allowing themselves to learn about the Catholic Church they are saying that they are aware that the Catholic Church is here, and that they are willing to learn about the long wonderful history that the Church has while they pray and to ask God to help guide them to do His will in their lives.  I wish that everyone would have that kind of open mind set, because if they did they would see what they are denying themselves by not  learning about this awesome Church, the one Church that Christ himself set in motion.

So anytime that I see someone being confirmed and partaking in the Eucharist for the first time,  I know what kind of journey that they have been on.  I also know that they have finally received the many wonderful gifts that the Catholic Church has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment